Upgrade Your Home To Accommodate The Elderly
April 14th, 2020
A home is a place where every member of the family has to feel comfortable, welcome, and safe. It has to accommodate the needs of the entire household. Since each person is different, you will have to consider a lot of factors.
Age is one of the things you have to consider. Growing old can lead to new challenges. Thus, it requires some changes. If you have old family members, you have to make sure your TX property is suitable for them. It does not matter if they are living with you, moving in, or only visiting. You have to have a safe home for the elderly.
One common problem of the elderly is limited mobility. Because of this, they are prone to accidents. To have a safe home for the elderly, you will need to take extra steps.
- Check the flooring. Balance issues may also be common among older adults. High-pile carpeting or slick surfaces make them more prone to slips and falls. Change the carpet into a low-pile one. If the surface of the floor is hardwood or tile, check its slip rating. If it is slippery, consider laminating the floor. You also need to secure all rugs and keep them in place.
- Ensure that the stairs are safe. Ideally, it is best to not let elderly members use stairs often. If it is unavoidable, you can lessen the possibility of an accident by adding adequate lighting on the staircase. You also have to add extra grip. If the stairs are not carpeted, you can install grip tape.
- Install grab bars. Adding safety bars and handrails can help seniors a lot. These will support them while they move about. Put them in the hallways, bathrooms, staircases, and bedrooms. To keep the elderly steady as they get in and out of bed, put a bed rail.
Aside from their safety, you may also want to protect the whole household and the property itself. To do this, you will have to implement security practices.
- Invest in a security system. Aside from deterring crimes, a home security system will also allow you to monitor the activities inside your home. Advanced systems also let you check remotely. You can also choose one that will send alerts if something unusual happens in your TX property.
- Get home automation. A smart home provides safety and comfort. You can adjust the temperature inside easily by setting automatic adjustments. You can also schedule automated lights and motion sensors.
Trusting The Professionals
The safety and security of one’s TX home are among the priorities of many people. Having older family members requires you to be more mindful. Take note of the needs of your loved ones and apply the proper solutions.
When it comes to home security systems, it is best to leave it to the experts. Give us a call to find out how we can help you have a safe home for the elderly.